We have seen so far and we have perfectly realized that, before proceeding with the restoration of a deteriorated concrete structure, it is absolutely necessary to know thoroughly all the possible causes of degradation by means of an accurate diagnostic analysis that cannot be carried out only by investigating on the superficial aspect but it must be deepened and detailed.
Aware of having fulfilled all the issues related to preventive diagnostics and having perfectly prepared all the surfaces subject to the restoration, we are ready to operate.
There are many possible types of intervention, which differ on the basis of the type of structure to be restored, the intensity of the deterioration, particular logistical and operational situations, which can influence the project choices. In the MEMOFLASH section you will find twenty-one operating procedures that are described in detail and widely documented. In this section we want to describe the most frequent intervention, which is found in various civil, industrial and infrastructural construction situations: the classic structural restoration carried out with a highly durable synergic system, carried out with anti-corrosive treatment, volumetric restoration with very high performance and anti-carbonation protective finish:
- Fix the state of the internal, deep reinforcement with organic migratory corrosion inhibitors (CONSILEX NO-RUST)
- Restore the basic environment and consolidate areas of removed concrete before volumetric reconstruction (CONSILEX SAN)
- Careful wetting of the entire waste surface without creating superficial water veils, which will eventually be eliminated with compressed air or with a sponge, to obtain the ideal condition of the substrates (“saturated with a dry surface”).
- Passivate exposed, oxidized reinforcement bars to block further corrosion and protect reinforcement bars from contact with potentially aggressive substances. For correct passivation, the oxidized irons must be brought back to “white metal” with appropriate sandblasting or brushing, eliminating any trace of rust. For the anti-corrosive passivation of the exposed reinforcing bars, a brushable cement grout (single or two-component) is used, containing highly protective raw materials, which allows to proceed with the reconstruction of the missing parts even after a few days (REPAR MONOSTEEL or REPAR STEEL).
- Reconstruct the missing sections removed from degradation, with respect to the original geometries, by adding thixotropic or pourable non-shrinking, fiber-reinforced mortars (REPAR and/or GROUT mortars).
- Seal the cracks and superficial macrovacuum distributed on the surface (REPAR Line or SYNTECH AS 21 or SYNTECH IC 55).
- Homogenize all the restored surfaces with those kept original, by leveling with appropriate leveling cement mortars reinforced with alkali-resistant fiberglass nets of suitable weight and mesh (smoothing mortars from the REPAR Line and ARMAGLASS 160).
- Create a barrier to carbonation by applying a decorative paint based on specific water-repellent, breathable elastomeric acrylic resins on the entire surface of the manufact to prevent future penetration of water and carbon dioxide into the mix and restore aesthetic perfection of the surface (PROTECH WAC or PROTECH WAC-T).